Sunday, November 16, 2008

Conservatism in action.

I have recently been burdened by the idea that as a pro-life conservative, I must be more proactive in my support for adoption. It is a consistent attack leveled at the pro-life community that we have not taken a big enough role in adoption to support our pro-life stance. I am not entirely sure that is correct, as a simple google or yahoo search of Christian adoption agencies provides a plethora of information. However, I do know that in my own life...the attack has found it's mark. I have been ardently pro-life for years, and have been becoming more committed to that cause as time has progressed...but have until very recently not seriously considered adoption for my family. That is changing. The LORD has blessed my wife and I with a beautiful son, and very soon a daughter...but my heart truly breaks for those on society's fringes who have been left without parents. I think it is the job of all Christians, and to a lesser extent of all conservatives to carefully consider adoption. As a Christian the argument is easy to make, we have been commanded to care for the orphans and widowed. As an anti-abortion - pro-life American my beliefs on abortion and the moment life begins demand that I be involved in adoption and foster parenting. As a conservative my politics dictate that I take part in ensuring that the least of our society have a place of comfort and refuge. My politics dictate that the government should not take the lead in the welfare of individual citizens, but that private charity should. The only way for private charities to make enough money to help the people who need it, is for those of us with the resources to help...to indeed provide help. For years we have given to charity through our church and through specific charities themselves; such as Samaritan's Purse, World Help, World Vision, and several others. I cannot help but imagine a world where every American gives at least 10% of their income to a private charity...these charities are much more able than the government to use your funds to help people. A world where every American sacrificed just 10% of their earnings for private charity, would be spectacular. If we stopped asking government to help us, and started instead to say, I will help others...the mind cannot even begin to fathom the difference that would make.
Please visit abbafund and find out how you can help "the least of these" right here at home.

James 1:27 The New International Version
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

Psalm 146:9 The New International Version
"The LORD watches over the alien and sustains the fatherless and the widow, but he frustrates the ways of the wicked."

* A 16 year old girl has been drafted to pitch by professional baseball team in Japan. How did she do it? By throwing a sidearm knuckleball...
* Albert Pujols has won his 2nd National League MVP award.
* Dr. Paul preaches truth.
* Keynesian economics is killing us.
* Secretary of State Clinton? Honestly, President-elect Obama could make a much worse choice...
* Why do we continue to allow ourselves to be duped by global warming alarmists when all of the relevant data (see examples one and two) and history say they are wrong? But of course in the land of fruits and nuts...
* It is funny how dictatorships that don't allow the free market to work in their own countries, suddenly understand how important the free market is when they need money! I just wish our legislators would get the connection between supply and demand, and how Adam Smith's invisible hand really works...
* Freedom or government?
* You thought Republicans were bad...wait until you see the War Hawks hovering around the Obama administration!

No comments: