Monday, April 14, 2008

Immigration

There was something unexpected from Ruben Navarette at CNN.com today ... an interesting article. From time to time Ruben surprises me. Time after time in his writing he has taken the side of the illegal immigration lobby (yes, they have a lobby), and time after time he has frustrated me (a first generation American of Cuban descent) by lumping all of us latinos together. But today he posted an article that I can get behind, where he says that the illegal immigration debate is driven by racism. On his point about racism I have to disagree, I think that there are racists out there who rant on illegal immigration because they are racist, but I think to the average American it is more out of a sense of injustice. It angers people that we allow illegal immigrants to flaunt the law so easily. I appreciate the last two paragraphs of Ruben's article where he recognizes the superiority of our American government to that of Mexico's inept, corrupt, and immoral government. It does not make up for all of Ruben's past blatherings that I have wasted my time reading, but it helps. I hope that Ruben might choose this opportunity to write more about how Mexico can help Mexicans fix Mexico and less about how we in America are racist for wanting to combat illegal immigration.

* This was a very interesting letter from the President of East Timor Jose Ramos-Horta, on the failed assasination attempt that almost took his life and the consequences it has had on East Timor.

* Here is Time magazine doing its very best to help spin Barrack Obama's recent campaign mistake, when he called small town Americans "bitter". Here is the quote that should have made most Americans angrier than it did: "And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."
Yeah, we are anti- gun control, and pro-life, and against special rights for homosexuals because we are bitter people....not because it is part of our belief system or morals...YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!

* Adults should have more sense than this.

* I am appalled when people remember that Jimmy Carter is from my adoptive home state. The man is an anti-Semite who just happens to hate the USA and the things that we have traditionally stood for.

* More people drinking the global warming kool-aid. I am not a big fan of the President but if he starts going John McCain/Al Gore on us about global warming, I will not vote for him again...(oh, wait...nevermind). People in Iowa wish global warming was true.

* This article is funny because I just took a poll where 100% of me considered these historians "failures".

* Photo below is of John McCain and Hillary Clinton. What bothers me most about this election is that there is no choice here. Clinton is McCain - McCain is Clinton. There is no difference here, the last few elections the candidates have been moving closer and closer together. John Kerry and George W. Bush were not much different. Al Gore and George W. Bush were similar. Bob Dole and Bill Clinton were practically clones. And now, McCain and Clinton could be running mates! For me, I am tired of Republicans and Democrats and I will be voting for a 3rd Party ... more likely than not, I will vote for the Constitution Party candidate.

John McCain and Hillary Clinton ... Best Buds!

No comments: